my 5th day on the island

Today is my 5th day on the island. This place is like nothing I have ever imagined. Honestly, I'm not even sure at this point what I imagined, but this isn't it. This is literally my morning view

The people are so kind. When I got here I imagined carrying all my boxes up my stairs, but they were already up there waiting for me. You go to the store and everyone is saying hi and wishing you well.

I have this tree right outside my balcony and the neighbor feeds the birds twice a day at this tree. So all these little parrots, yes I said parrots, swarm this tree to eat. I am located on the east coast of the western half of Maui. So, I get the morning sunrises over the water. My view is literally the ocean. I'm also at the mouth of Iao Valley, so there are always clouds behind me.

Just last night around 8:30pm, rain began pouring down out of nowhere. I'm not talking about desert rain where it's a drizzle and we're afraid it's going to flood,  I'm talking strong hard pouring rain. It was miraculous. I think maybe it moved over this way from Iao Valley. I thought initially a strong wind picked up outside and realized this was the sound of the rain. Intense.

On the road to Hana and talking to people at a local coffee shop, I learned fruit grows in over an abundance here. There's almost too much to control. So many people set up little huts outside their home with fruit and a lockbox for payment. It's an honor system because there is no one there to make sure you paid or not. When we were in Hana, we bough red bananas, which literally taste like candy. You get 2 for a dollar, so we bought like 6 of them and you can literally just eat it right there.

I know there is just so much more to take in and learn, but wanted to share some of the highlights I've come across just in the last few days. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Road to Hana

Motorcycle Poker Run

Waihe'e Ridge Trail