Motorcycle Poker Run

This past week,  I had my first real meltdown since the move here. As I write this, I've been on the island 39 days now! It seems like so little of time, but I've been so busy during those days it's felt to me longer. Since I've been here I've been so grateful and in awe of this opportunity to live here, but this week some real stuff hit me. Still waiting for the arrival of my two kitties, the distance from them has really set in and the fear of harming them flying over became a real thought I couldn't shake. My mood came sideways and I just felt.. off.

Kyle, just getting back from his Europe trip, decided what better to perk up my spirits than to play tourists in Kaanapali. AND THEN, to even top it off more with inviting our friends Brandi and Neil to join in on the fun; If you don't have a friend like Kyle, it's best you go looking for one.

So Friday afternoon I made my way from the south side to the west side. We met up with Brandi and Neil for a spaghetti meal to celebrate the 20th anniversary of a motorcycle club (which we'd be going on a ride with them the following day, but I'm not to that part of the story yet), and then we all headed to the Sheraton for Jacuzzis and beach time. The night was literally filled with raging laughter and fun. Pure joy. At the Sheraton, it was a puzzle trying to get to the room. You went up one elevator,  down another, up another. There were phones at every elevator for the front to help you find your way. The pools were lit blue and a man sang with his ukulele in the distance. Fire torches lit the way through bridges over the pools and a jacuzzi that looked like it was built into the side of a lava rock. There was this mini slide in the pool, which Kyle attempted to go head first down, that didn't work out to well for him. Neil tried to ask if there were more Jacuzzis and got hounded by one of the guys that worked there until they ran Kyle's name and left us all alone, lol. I kept finding pieces of paper around me in the jacuzzi and kept brushing them over to Neil who would randomly find them, pull them out in a confused disgusted manner which just made me laugh harder. I literally felt like we were back in high school sneaking into hotel pools, but this time we were actually legitimate guests.

The next morning,  yesterday morning,  we headed out on this huge poker run bike ride around the island. There had to of been about 20 bikes if not more and then half had a partner on the back. We had 5 stops, where we would pull a card at each stop to find out what our poker hand would reveal. We began the ride in Lahaina, where we picked out first card. I got an 8◇, and Kyle got a 3♤. We made our way to the first stop to Maalaea Harbor, which was 14 miles. Here, Kyle got a 2♡ and I go a 7♧. The next stop was Iao Valley, 9.5 miles. Kyle got an Ace and I a King. Kyle could use a 4 at this point. 
From Iao Valley we made our way to 4th Marine Division Memorial Park, in Haiku-Pauwela, where we waited for another biker that got a rear flat tire leaving Iao Valley. This took us 19 miles. Kyle got a 5 and I another King. Once everyone linked up again, we headed from Haiku to Manawainui Gulch, which was 34 miles. I went to pull our cards and said, "if I pull a King, it's mine." I kid you not, the first card I pulled was a King! The second card was a Jack, so Kyle didn't end with his straight. 
From the Gulch we headed 13 miles to the Maui Winery in Kula, where I learned my face was covered in dirt. After leaving Kula, we headed 47 miles back to Lahaina, where we ended the trip back at one of the members home for a BBQ and... wedding!! No, it was not my wedding. It was a couple that spent the day riding with all of us that were from Illinois visiting. The wedding took place at sunset overlooking the ocean. 
During the ceremony I look over at Kyle and start laughing. He looks back at me in confusion and then hears it. One of the kids behind us had dropped his pants at the edge of the yard and was peeing while the vowels were being said. For all that know my laugh, it was a real struggle keeping it in while the vowels were being said. After the ceremony,  they gave the results of the poker run. I was the grand prize winner with my 3 Kings.

So..  here on the islands I've learned it's a thing for men to paint their toe nails and Kyle had yet to jump on the band wagon. I've been wanting to do this with him since I found out he's never done it. So I took the money and said, get us an appointment I'm taking you out for a pedicure! The pure excitement i had was enough for him to jump on board and we took off on the bike in the sunset to get our nails painted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Road to Hana

Waihe'e Ridge Trail